So, what’s with Cranky Ron? This is where I get to let off steam about things I’ve mostly kept to myself. What gets me going?
- All “alternative” or “holistic” medicine. It’s a scam. Modern medical science is riddled with bad research and even worse practice, but the truth eventually comes out (usually 20 years after the fact).
- Reporting of scientific research (in all fields). Why does everyone think we’re stupid? Why does everyone think we need to get excited about research that isn’t what’s actually being reported?
- Research methodology and statistics. I do not claim to be much of an expert, but really…
- Discussions of mental health. Been there, know what I’m talking about.
- Religion. I take my spirituality and worship very seriously – it is central to my identity. It is the story I tell about myself. So why is most writing / reporting about religion so simplistic and stupid? Give us a break – we can handle ambiguity, uncertainty and doubt.
- AND THE BIBLE: would you actually read the thing and think about what you’ve read?
So, here’s the deal. The above crankiness shouldn’t be primarily aggressive – this doesn’t lead to dialogue and engagement. I will try to be nice.